Monday, April 12, 2010

This Week's Iconic Dress: Princess Diana and that Wedding Dress


As a young girl growing up in the 80s I was completely infatuated with the late Princess Diana, especially her wardrobe. I remember flicking through my Mum's Woman's Days and New Ideas which were jam packed with pictures of Diana, and being absolutely in awe of her outfits. In 1985 she even visited our tiny country Victorian town and I had the honour of handing her flowers and shaking her hand ( I still remember her green tartan outfit in detail). A momentous occasion for a 12 year old!

Diana's wedding dress was a beautiful big meringue of ivory silk taffeta, and set a trend for wedding dresses in the 80s for puff ball sleeves and the bigger the better dresses. Designed by Elizabeth and David Emanuel, it was highly criticised for how creased it looked when she stepped out of the carriage, but as a young girl watching the wedding coverage on TV I thought it was beautiful. Surely an iconic dress of the 20th century.




1 comment:

  1. Oh I thought she looked like a sweet princess in her dress.

    That must have been SO exciting to present to her, my mum shook her hand too and was beside herself with excitment!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete